Thread: 2006 Hurricane season

Be Afraid, Very Afraid Contributor loganosborne's Avatar

Question 2006 Hurricane season

Disable These Ads!
    Do you think this years hurricane season will be as bad or worse than last years one
    Got some info that it will be just as bad as last years was
    read the article at http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...NES.xml&rpc=22
    what do you think

One interesting thing to note about last year, was the unusually low number of deaths in the U.S. due to tornados. I think it almost, or did set a record. That's a very curious statistic to me. I'm planning to watch the tornado death count late spring to see what happens.

I speculate that the number of deaths due to tornados was low, mostly because of a relaxed jet stream. Perhaps when the late spring jet stream relaxes it's dynamic, the atmosphere signals a more favorable environment for hurricane structures later in the year.

Dr. Gray is still learning, and I expect he saw this variable as well. He may even tweak his numbers some as a result. It's too bad he didn't predict the great number of hurricane deaths last year.

No one puts any stock in death meters these days. Spiritual gifts are deemed nonsense, but how much more valuable could they be to a nation? If you see lightning and do not hear the thunder, will you fear it enough to save your life? If you hear the thunder, but do not see the flash, how will you know where to go to avoid the fatal strike? The wise nation sees the flash, and hears the thunder.
    "In the last days perilous times will come, for men shall have a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." 2 Tim 3

Lucky survivor Seasoned Member
    Based on previous trends, I would have to say about as bad as last year.

RW, the lower level winds last year favored a Gulf of Mexico flow into the eastern U.S. This is unusual, because normally this air flows into the Central states, where other conditions help for tornado formation. So that low level air flow likely played a big role in the low tornado numbers last year.
    "Mathematics compares the most diverse phenomena and discovers the secret analogies that unite them." - Joseph Fourier

"All the junk that's fit to debunk" - http://www.junkscience.com/

In my personal opinion, I think this years' going to be greatly uneaven. Summers going to be cold and rainy, witth maybe the occasional hurricane in the warm seasin.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalSword
    Based on previous trends, I would have to say about as bad as last year.

RW, the lower level winds last year favored a Gulf of Mexico flow into the eastern U.S. This is unusual, because normally this air flows into the Central states, where other conditions help for tornado formation. So that low level air flow likely played a big role in the low tornado numbers last year.
    Interesting Crystal. I didn't know that, but it makes sense.

I wasn't aware that the number of tornados was low, just the number of deaths. I need to do some more reading on the stats from last year.
    "In the last days perilous times will come, for men shall have a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." 2 Tim 3

Prepared survivor Seasoned Member
    I think its gonna be worse. Maybe even see a Cat 5 near NY. Tornadoes may be bad this year too.
    All this gives new meaning to "2 Minutes to Midnight"

Thumbs up New Orleans and Spring brake student.

Some students from around the country, decided to take their spring brake by going to new orleans with tools to help clean et repair houses damages by Katrina. The report was on msnbc on television. It is very moving and touching. Instead going to the beachs and drink and partying and doing what you know else, these students decided to take this time to help people from new orleans, that the government did'nt even dare to start helping yet. They worked on the roofs, clean the inside, etc. very good work. some people, where crying out of joy. Men, women black and white. Some of the house howners pray with the students. When there is good new i want to tell them to, I Put it in this thread because it was talking about Hurricane 2006 already, yes already. Time goes very fast, faster than the cleaning and rebuilding of the city, of New orleans and others as Biloxi for exemple. Sorry for the mistakes in my writing.

Iam puppy, hear me yap. Contributor lycanox's Avatar
    They where really close to predicting the year of the disaster in New Orleans by digging in the ground and look for flood evidence. unfortunately they were to late.

I hope they continue their research of the rest of the risk areas.
    http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs27/f/2008/139/8/a/logo_by_lycanox.png

Laz's Test Bunny Contributor Sammy56's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Raptor Witness
    One interesting thing to note about last year, was the unusually low number of deaths in the U.S. due to tornados.
    I'm not sure that is linked to the extremely active hurricane season, but if it is, that would be an interesting anomoly to look into. You are right about the tornados. Living in the middle of Tornado Alley, as I've mentioned before, usually means we see several tornadoes a year and often at least one major one, but last season was quiet. We are in the middle of an awful drought though and it's hard to have tornadoes without thunderstorms. The 2006 tornado season just started so it won't be long before we know how severe the season will be though.
    Last edited by Sammy56; Mar 12th, 2006 at 10:21 PM.
    "As far as the stars are from Earth is the distance of your wonderfulness."

"For there is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so..." ~Shakespeare

I am almost certain the tornado season is gonna be super active, just yesterday there were 107 confirmed reports of tornadoes, most of them in Missouri.

Tornadoes kill 10 in US Midwest

At least 10 people have been killed and hundreds of homes and businesses damaged as tornadoes swept through parts of the US Midwest.
    read more http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4801166.stm

Yea I know, its been all over the news. I live in Wisconsin, we just missed out. But I don't think our luck is gonna hold out this year.

star gazer..... Contributor Protostar's Avatar
    You guys need to prepare and put alot of food away. Your home safe guarded somehow. Mother nature can be nasty and when the dust bowl took effect in the 1930's it was horrid. Mars became a dust bowl planet! Super Storms have arrived and today's tornado's (granted during tornado season) are just the start of a
    bitch of a year concerning the weather systems. Batton down the hatches and
    stock the cupboard. Why do I say this? Well, Every PLANET in our solar system
    is going through a cycle. Why now? and in UNISON?
    Pluto is moving farther and farther away from the sun yet it now has an atmosphere and is heating up. The "icy" planets ie: saturn's moon has water guysers?
    Why? What melted the ice to create this? Our atmosphere is basically "directed" by the activities of the sun and we are at a solar minimum so why are we experiencing such "atmospheric" anomolies? Global Warming? Sure, of our planet and others?
    Are the Cosmic blasts like the one of Feb 18 responsible?
    Crystal Sword, what is your thought on this pls? Thx.

Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life.

'Above normal' hurricanes in 2006

This year's Atlantic hurricane season will be "above normal", according to the US climate agency.
    Read More http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5005806.stm
    A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.- Friedrich Nietzsche

Normal in wat sence? This is EARTH wer'e on about here, not mars!
    I come and go but as long as CT is on here, there needs be an antichrist to oppose his wonder ;) x

Quote Originally Posted by Skynet12
    Normal in wat sence? This is EARTH wer'e on about here, not mars!
    Of course its Earth.
    A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.- Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, could be jupiters spot, imea...LOGAN, wer'e leavin the point here.

Thanks 4 the link and thread!
    I come and go but as long as CT is on here, there needs be an antichrist to oppose his wonder ;) x

How about next time you read the link then you will know what planet it is

Hurricanes to Unleash Dormant, Hidden Power

Kerry Emanuel sparked a debate among his colleagues last year when he published a paper that linked global warming to the trend of increasingly stronger Atlantic Ocean hurricanes observed in recent decades.

In a study to be published soon, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology climatologist will make another bold claim: The cycling of hurricane activity from high to low, which some scientists have attributed to a natural cycle in global weather patterns, is in fact caused by the rise and fall of pollution released by humans.

Furthermore, Emanuel, along with Michael Mann of Pennsylvania State University, contend that the microscopic aerosol particles, which reflect sunlight and cool the atmosphere, have been masking the effect of global warming on Atlantic Ocean hurricanes for several decades. The researchers say that it is only in recent decades, as aerosol emissions from North America and Europe have declined due to clean air standards, that the full impact of greenhouse gas emissions on hurricane strength has been realized.

Read More http://www.livescience.com/forcesofn...intensity.html

A dinosaur... no reason Contributor Stabby Joe's Avatar
    Now we have to blame someone for hurricanes now!? Fine, I'll get the lawyers...
    Science doesn't have all of the answers... otherwise it wouldn't be science.

Lucky survivor Seasoned Member SladeLoD's Avatar
    I wouldn't live anywhere near where a hurricane might hit,this year might just be as bad as last years. Let just hope it isn't!!

In the mean time i am still keeping an eye on my good neighbor Yellowstone
    Has been some activity there of late,a 3.9 at the lake etc,,will post if anything of serious concern occurs.

Radioactive Serious Member
    Not sure I would PREFER one disaster over another...hurricane, tornado, earthquake, volcano...I don't know of anywhere that is safe from them all. At least with a hurricane, you know it's coming while you still have time to prepare.
    Have Fun
    :blazing:

Radioactive Serious Member redmamma's Avatar
    Well, Indiana is feeling pretty damn safe right now.

The New Madrid is too far away to cause any major damage other than economical, hurricanes only give us rain, and we're too far away from Yellowstone to get more than a couple of inches of fallout. Yes I have food and water stores and increase them just a wee bit every time I go shopping. I also have a a footlocker full of emergency supplies if we get hit with a loss of energy and an economic shutdown.

However, I'm from Louisiana (between New Orleans and Baton Rouge) and all of my family is still there, so emotionally I still live with the threat of a powerful hurricane. My dad said if there's another one like Katrina this year, that's it...he and my mom are moving up here.

I've done a lot of research into this over the years, (yes even at Purdue while minoring in meteorology) and I have to go with the natural cycle idea. Compared to volcano emission of greenhouse gasses, our puny little human contribution doesn't even register. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for conservation and being nice to the planet and all, but come on...let's at least be reasonable about it. Read the data for what it is, not for what you want it to be. History tells us that hurricanes come in cycles. History also tells us that global warming comes in cycles, then global cooling, then it starts over again. My money rests with the sun as being our immediate cause, but could something else be the cause behind the changes in the sun? For example, every time something of significant size crosses the orbital plane, the sun shoots out a flare. When the sun shoots out a flare, we get EM storms that mess with our atmosphere here on Earth. Just before Katrina hit LA, we were undergoing a massive EM storm. When I saw that, I said to myself, "Oh shit!. This one's gonna be big." Sure enough, Katrina ballooned up to a category 5 in less than 24 hours. There is no way that you can convince me that that happened because of my hairspray or because of the SUV that I was driving at the time.

Oh, and Protostar, I'm with you. Something else is going on in our galaxy. I just wish I knew what it was.
    When a wise man argues with a foolish one, he meets anger and ridicule without relief. Pr. 29:9

star gazer..... Contributor Protostar's Avatar
    Yeah, if people researched the other planets in our solar system they would be scared to death! This cycle is scary and with meteorologists now in error and
    some are even admitting their models can't "predict" the weather, it just goes
    to show ya that this particular cycle is a doozy. It seems that everyone is scrambling to find some kind of link in this cycle and the research at the poles is ongoing at a fever pitch. When I saw that a new volcano appeared in the Drake Passage area, it scared me as any change in topography at the poles is a sign of immense change. Mt. Hart moved 62 miles in a half hour and I mentioned that to an engineer and his response is, "impossible" I told him to research it, he said he would. I wonder why volcano's move from their hot spots, I know they do in oceans because of sea floor spreading but what about land volcanos? Do they move normally? Incidently today Yosemite had a major landslide, gulp.
    I still believe the lithosphere is moving north and will do so until it can't move anymore and then that grand earthquake will ensue. How the planets are connected to these "warming" issues is an enigma even astrophysists can't explain.

Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life.

Thread Information